Saturday 23 February 2008

The First Emperor meets Mills and Boon

Today I trundled up to London to add my contribution to the 100th anniversary of Mills and Boon by lending the British Library items for the centenary exhibition of M&B at Manchester Library in June. Typical of never throwing anything away! I had gift items and even old rejection letters! It was also a chance to see the fabulous Terracotta Army assembled by the 'First Emperor' of China 2000 years ago and they were awesome. I was really taken by the painted replica of how they would have looked at the time glistening with brilliant colour in their thousands round his tomb. What an amazing sight they must have been!
The downside of the afternoon was then walking down Oxford Street to get to my favourite haberdashery store just off Bond Street. OK from Tottenham Court Road tube to Oxford Circus has never been exactly smart but it is more like a third world street than modern London, filthy pavements and tacky stores and not one person looked even faintly smartand most simply didn't look clean. I was very pleased to reach MacCulloch's premises. That place has not changed in the forty years I've been going there! I swear it hasn't. And it is still full of fashion students bumming samples for their projects (London School of Fashion is just across the road) Happily I found just what I was looking for - and a few bits I really wasn't but simply had to have - well - I have sold off a lot of stash so of course it needs replacing!

No comments: