Tuesday 7 October 2008

Tuscany this time





After only two days at home I was off again, alone this time. Only being me I opted to travel from Gatwick - yes I know Stansted is only just up the road but there you go! It of course had to be thick fog as we set off at 5am. The dh was NOT amused! Then of course we all get on the plane to be told we can't take off because of fog so we are to sit on the plane for TWO hours! I was OK, having opted for business class I had three seats to myself and a Hello mag from the lounge so I wallowed in gossip for eventually one and a half hours before we took off.Have to sa the pilot was very good and explained as much as he could to keep us in the picture. I was actually pleased to have chosen BA for once - and my luggage made it with me! We were a bit perturbed at Pisa to see a huge queue at Lost Luggage but ours turned up! I went to do a writing course at the Watermill at Posara along with 9 other ladies. Anita Burgh was in charge so I knew we were in good hands - and we had a brilliant time! Lots of wine and chat, slightly disappointing food in almost empty rstaurants however, but we made up for it on a train ride to Lucca on the Weds when 8 of us made for a restaurant in the guide book and had a fabulous meal. Lots of shoe/boot/bag shopping that day! We had one pretty good meal in a restaurant at the top of a mountain, luckily at lunchtime so we could see the view, but Kersten the resident housekeeper was a good chef when we ate in and we all voted her meals the best of all. Posara is tiny, no shop or even a bar but in a huge wooded valley and the village was so pretty. The apartment I shared with another girl overlooked the river and a stream running into it and we slept like logs - could be the wine of course! It came in old fashioned pop bottles at every opportunity!
The only downside was geting back to Gatwick and the dh had a rugby match at home. 'Get the train to St Albans,' he said so I did. Only to find engineering on the line. I had two heavy cases and my computer case to carry. You have no idea just how many steps there are when you have to change trains THREE times! I was finally collected at our local station as he decided he could leave the match for ten minutes and then told 'there's a party at Hertford Club because a Spanish team the guys play were playing Hertford this weekend and there was a special 'tasting' meal laid on - with booze of course! SO I ended the evening surrounded by drunken rugby players - hunky yes - but when you were as knackered as I was no use whatsoever!

1 comment:

Anita Burgh said...

Wasn't it a great week. I am missing everyone - the chat, the fun, the gossip, the wine! Lovely to see your blog.
Annie